Incarcerated Student Reentry Needs Assessment

For assistance while incarcerated, fill out Inmate request form for CTU. After release, contact Five Keys Reentry Team

Name *
Check Areas of Need
Below are the 3 main documents needed to prove your identify and apply for certain resources and employment after release.
The general process is Application (Form SS-5), Provide proof of identity, Free. Locate nearest SSA office:
CTU can assist with this process for those inmates born in LA County and 60-150 days before release date. * If you were born outside the US and then became a citizen through the naturalization process, you will need your naturatliation certificate
Can't apply for DL in custody but may qualify for ID. Need $8 on your account, know your Social Security Number and LA County address.
Public Benefits
Contact CTU 90 days or less before release to sighn up for healthcare or visit when relesased
It's possible an application can be processed while incarcerated on a case by case basis, have a loved one reach out. Most likely will to go in person to local SSA office
Contact CTU 45 days before your release date if you will be homeless upon release. You may be able to start the process, but will need to go to DPSS when released
Services Free of Charge: job training, telephone and computer access, literacy skills, and expungement workshops; Employment referrals; Customized job matching, placement; Resume; interview skills building; creating a professional email, and assistance with selective...
Most men 18-25 who are U.S. citizens or are immigrants living in the U.S. are required to register with Selective Service. Nothing happens unless there is a crisis requiring a draft. If you do not register, you will not be eligible for federal (and CA state) student aid, federal job training, a federal job, U.S. citizenship, other assistance programs. You may be prosecuted and face a stiff fine and/or jail time. If you did not register, it may not be too late. Request a Status Information Letter from Selective Service by (1) calling 847-688-6888, OR (2) obtain a request form Send it back with documentation showing that you were incarcerated, institutionalized, and/or hospitalized between the ages of 18 and 25, or that failure to register was not...
LA Kitchen-; PV Jobs-; Grid Alternatives-; Flintridge
If you can check 2 or more areas, you may be eligible for Whole Person Care (WPC). WPC-Reentry is part of a comprehensive and coordinated LA County program that ensures clients have resources and support needed. Services are provided to LA County reentry inmates (90 days or less to release) eligible for Medi-Cal, are high utilizers of health or behavioral health services and are at high risk due to chronic medical conditions, mental illness, substance use disorders, homelessness, or pregnancy. Post Release Services include: Mentorship and social support; Health and social service navigation; Linkage to housing, employment, education, legal assistance and social supports; Accompaniment to key health and behavioral health appointments; Assistance with adherence to appointments, treatments and medications; and Connection to transportation. Submit an Inmate Request to CTU for referrals in all listed areas and/or to request a visit from Whole Person Care staff to confirm eligibility. **LA Mission interviews for housing while you are still in custody.
Finish your High School Diploma in custody or after release at one of Five Keys multiple locations. All free of charge.
Contact EBI to check availability of college classes while in custody. Contact Five Keys for college pathway connection. Free classes while in custody and reduced tuition may be available after release. Information on BOG Waiver and FAFSA available
Enroll in Five Keys Career Technical Education (CTE) while in custody. Contact Five Keys for vocational education referrals.
Read your court order carefully and ask your probation/parole officer or DCFS case social worker for specific referrals. Some classes that meet requirements may be available in custody. Often, classes need to be taken after release. Make this a priority upon release.
Know if there are any court cases involving your child(ren); Know if there are any court orders that could limit or stop communication with your spouse or child(ren). Incarcerated parents have rights when a court case is filed about their child. Keep in touch with DCFS social worker and/or DCSS caseworker to understand rights and responsibilities as a parent. Agencies will visit while incarcerated. Get involved in parenting classes in custody and keep communication journal.
Call Root & Rebound Reentry Advice Hotline from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every Friday on 510-279-4662 to speak directly to an attorney about your reentry issue and receive legal information, advice and referrals; Contact local County Bar Association